Site Links

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Everything Has a Beginning

Everything has a beginning and as far as songwriting goes this is one of my first big steps.  I've been into music and poetry for some time, I've written songs for something like eight years along with poetry as well.  I have a published poetry book under a pen name and I like poetry I do...but, being able to sing and play a poem so that it can touch a person in a different way feels more appealing to me.  I like the emotions that the right note, the right set of words, or the combination of the two can bring about in a person's soul.

That being said I know for myself poetry and lyrics have lifted me up from some dark places like a lot of other people, but it hasn't been until recently that I got somewhat of the courage to show anyone what I've worked on.  Every song I've written has a back story to something in my life or the life of someone I know.  So, with each song I think I'll post on this blog the background on what the song is about.  I plan on having fun with this and who knows maybe something will come out of it.  It would be cool to meet people with the same feelings and emotions that I put in my music.  I play keyboard and haven't had any lessons but did have some free time because of an accident I had recently so I'm self taught.

There are two ways I write songs.  The first way that I come up with a song is I write a poem about something that is bothering me or just on my mind.  I break that up into sections, find a rhythm in my head, and after a bunch of beating down on what I originally have I polish it out and there it is--good or bad.  The second way is I get some kind of rhythm, beat or sound inspired in my head from anything and I associate that with a situation usually from something I've experienced; after a while I get a song.  In both situations I play a matching game by finding the tones in the keys that are suitable enough to portray the emotion and sound that is in my head.

So, sometime soon I will be putting up stuff on YouTube and finish the whole editing process of this here blog.  I think until then I'll just write some blogs of what's going through my mind while I continue to practice and get something suitable to put on the web.

As for the whole Phantom thing--I don't want you guys to care who I really am, I just want you to check out my music.

--The Phantom--

No comments:

Post a Comment